What do you do when your voice isn’t recognized by the healthcare industry? From a lack of Black physicians to clinical trials not having enough Black participants, the odds are stacked against Black patients seeking care from a system that wasn’t built for them. Tiffany Whitlow co-founded the product NOWINCLUDED as a new answer to this systemic problem—one that hopes to build “generational health” for Black families everywhere. As Tiffany explores in this episode, NOWINCLUDED creates real change by serving as a digital community where individuals can share their healthcare stories with industry leaders looking to make more inclusive decisions.
- Systemic barriers limit positive health outcomes for Black patients.
- Industry leaders need more inclusive data to make better decisions.
- NOWINCLUDED shows how health tech products can focus on industry changes to create individual impact.
Things To Listen For
- [2:30] The importance of learning from diverse data in health tech
- [4:15] Tiffany reflects on launching the NOWINCLUDED community
- [5:00] How personal health journeys inspired the NOWINCLUDED vision
- [6:40] What the name “NOWINCLUDED” represents about urgency & inclusion
- [7:20] Why NOWINCLUCDED strives to build “generational health”
- [8:30] How COVID-19 forced conversations that set the stage for NOWINCLUDED
- [10:45] Exploring the difference between Acclinate & NOWINCLUDED
- [11:30] What to understand about the lack of diversity in clinical health trials
- [13:15] Recognizing the core challenges to Black health, including:
- A lack of Black physicians, limiting opportunities for trust
- Stunted access to childcare, narrowing when parents might seek treatment
- An overall lack of knowledge around personal health
- [15:00] Why limited minority participation in clinical trials impacts health outcomes
- [16:30] How NOWINCLUDED builds trust within its brand AND product
- [20:30] NOWINCLUDED’s vision for brand partnerships, including its current partnership with Johnson & Johnson
- [22:00] The reality: “Black people were not at the table when decisions were being made across multiple industries”
- [22:30] Why NOWINCLUDED balances informing with demanding progress
- [25:45] Comparing how health products focus on people vs. industry
- [26:50] Products give industry leaders the data they need to research better
- [27:40] Better industry research results in better, specific outcomes for individuals
- [29:30] Why NOWINCLUDED is more than an advocacy platform
- [30:30] NOWINCLUDED’s experience having Google as an investor
- [31:50] What’s next for NOWINCLUDED