Mike Reynolds revisits the big idea behind our show: why the business of product is never just about the product. As the co-founder & CEO of Innovatemap, a full-service digital product agency in Indianapolis and NYC, Mike explores from decades of personal experience what it takes to build a successful product business. Spoiler: Doing so takes so much more than a good product idea. In today’s environment, Mike explains that success hinges on knowing which ideas are worth building a business around. This episode will give you the roadmap you need to make that big decision.
Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter to see the latest from the Better Product Community powered by Innovatemap. The community is the connection point for product leaders & practitioners to learn and share what it takes to design, build, market, and sell better products. Learn more at betterproduct.community.
- It might be easier to become an entrepreneur; it is NOT easier to be one.
- Building a business requires going beyond product ideas.
- Seek product experts to build the right business around your product.
Things To Listen For
- [1:30] What founders need to consider after finding their product idea
- [2:00] How to think about product-market fit and product differentiation
- [2:30] When to balance building your product with promoting your product
- [3:30] The pros & cons of more entrepreneurs coming from specialized industries, not just tech
- [6:00] Why you need a team of product experts to advance your business—and what to look for when building one of your own
- [8:00] The difference between becoming and being an entrepreneur
- [11:00] Mike’s predictions for the future of digital products & business