Square, Block, and the Impact of Your Product Name
Changing a company or product name in a rebrand is a big decision. That’s because renames are usually seen as a way to cement a changed identity. But what if we told you that names are only as valuable as what we build around them? We’re exploring the concept through the recent Square-to-Block rename, and what to consider when putting a name to your own product.
Want to add your own take? Write a note or record a voice memo, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org to join the conversation.
Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter to see the latest in Better Product, a show part of the Better Product Community powered by Innovatemap. The community is the connection point for product leaders & practitioners to learn and share what it takes to design, build, market, and sell better products. Learn more at betterproduct.community.
- Names are significant, but what you build around them matters more.
- It’s the burden of brand & positioning to make a name mean something.
- Big Tech names are trending towards generic words—but does that actually limit creativity for others?
Things To Listen For:
- [1:00] How Meghan & Christian got their own names
- [2:30] A name change isn’t just about a word; it’s about an evolved identity
- [2:50] What really matters to a name is the strength of your brand & positioning
- [3:00] Good names don’t have to make sense, but they should be memorable…
- [4:00] …and what you do with your name usually matters more than the meaning
- [5:20] Introducing the Square story through a book, The Innovation Stack
- [6:20] Why Square chose the new name Block
- [9:30] An established name should influence how you think about brand & product
- [10:20] Why there’s no “one way” to name your company
- [11:00] It’s the burden of brand & positioning to make names mean something
- [11:15] Revisiting the Mailchimp & Surveymonkey rebrand
- [14:00] Names don’t always reflect the product—and that’s OK
- [15:00] Names tend to evolve with how they’ll be used
- [15:45] When it might be time for a company to consider a rename
- [17:00] Understanding how names and renames can influence growth
- [19:00] Are current trends in Big Tech names “land grabs”?